This week, I made changes on my second assignment based on feedback from my site supervisor. One of the mystery men that frustrated me from my first assignment also appeared in this one. He’s now identified so I was able to add his name to the appropriate images. I offered to go back to my first data set and update the relevant images, which my supervisor appreciated, and finished those today.
I also learned more about what not to add. One group of images had portions of dinosaurs in the background and I had to laugh at myself because I was so careful to add all of the related dinosaur terms to the images, only to have her tell me that since they were only seen partially, they weren’t needed. Although these types of situations can be subjective, it does offer some guidance in other ways to view images. While I haven’t been adding keywords for every single object in every image, I have felt that some things were still relevant (guests in front of dinosaurs, not just the guests) even when only a portion of them have been visible. Now I know that’s not the case.
I also received my third assignment this week, which was to catalog images from the most recent Halloween event at the museum, and it was very fun and challenging. There were 219 images total, and most were very different, allowing me to really dig in to the controlled vocabulary and search out appropriate terms. It was so interesting, in fact, I already finished cataloging the entire set, with the exception of a few basic questions and have let my supervisor know so I can get feedback.
For this assignment, I added two new terms and suggested two others to be added to the controlled vocabulary. I only add new terms when the language is straightforward – such as someone’s name, or things like “chairs”. In cases where phrasing can be subjective or jargon, I ask for my site supervisor’s input to be sure the phrase that best suits the museum is used.
I continue to have issues accessing the VPN. This weekend, the DAM system kicked me out three separate times, and I still have a hard time logging in in the first place. I’ve let my site supervisor know and hopefully the museum’s IT department can give me some tips.
Total hours: 12